Monday, April 19, 2010

Practice Packing Lite

Our trip last week enabled us to try out our packing lite theory for our Europe trip this summer. I brought enough for five days. I used my new carry on luggage size, though too large for an Aer Lingus flight.

I brought too many toiletries. I didn't use half of the lotions/sprays/whatnot I brought. I didn't use the straightener once, opting for my hair up the entire time. While I didn't wear makeup the whole week, as I thought would happen, I still can't bring myself to leave it all home. I've learned to pair it down a bit.

I didn't need too many pairs of socks because I wear sandals most of the trip. I did run out of books by Thursday so three was not enough for a week. I only brought my point and shoot camera, and am wondering if I should either leave lenses at home along with the flash, or try and make it through Europe with only the point and shoot.

Victoria did fine as well. She listened to her IPOD and used her touch a lot. My smart phone did a lot of work for me that I might ordinarily use a laptop for: it was able to get addresses to area attractions, directions, and movie times. I didn't listen to music at all, and I'm wondering if perhaps next trip I'll just bring along the dual plug for Victoria's IPOD. It doesn't seem worth it to bring my Zune when I don't use it.

I think we'll be able to manage two weeks in Europe with carry on sized luggage with a small back pack or tote as well.

No comments: